While I enjoyed David Bowie’s and Prince’s music. I was a George Michael fan. Several of his songs appear in my daily playlist, and some rank in my top ten favorite songs of all time.
George Michael in Wham!
It was 1984, and I was a sophomore in high school when the song Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! burst onto the US musical scene. The catchy tune by George Michael and musical partner Andrew Ridgeley quickly became my favorite song. Their album Make it Big also produced the hits Freedom, Everything She Wants, and Careless Whispers which George Michael sang as a solo. They also produced the songs Last Christmas, The Edge of Heaven and I’m Your Man before breaking up in 1986.
George Michael’s Solo Career
George Michael launched his successful solo career with the album Faith released in 1987. It was the first CD I bought when I got my first compact disc player as a college graduation present in 1990. It is one of the few albums I have owned where I listened to every single track.
The first track released from the album was I Want Your Sex. Oh, the controversy! With his dance move and wiggling hips, it was like Elvis Presley all over again. Some radio stations even replaced the word “sex” with “love.” To this day it is still one of my favorite songs.
The Faith album contains four US Number One Singles – Faith, One More Try, Father Figure, and Monkey. The album was on the list of Top 10 in the US for fifty-one straight weeks.
George Michael Post-Faith Career
While he never again achieved the level of success as Faith, George Michael continued to collaborate, perform and produce music. His seventh, and last album, Symphonica was released in 2014.
Essential George Michael – Top 15 Playlist
Even after thirty years, George Michael’s remains one of my favorite artists and several of his songs are at the top of my playlist. Here is a list of my top 15 favorite George Michael songs in order.
1. I’m Your Man – Music From the Edge of Heaven (1986)
2. I Want Your Sex – Faith (1987)
3. Freedom ’90 – Listen Without Prejudice, Vol 1 (1990)
4. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go – Make It Big (1984)
5. Father Figure – Faith (1987)
6. Last Christmas – Music From the Edge of Heaven (1986)
7. Faith – Faith (1987)
8. Do They Know It’s Christmas Time – Band Aid (1984)
9. Freedom – Make It Big (1984)
10. Monkey – Faith (1987)
11. Everything She Wants – Make It Big (1984)
12. I Knew You Were Waiting – with Aretha Franklin Aretha (1986)
13. Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me – with Elton John Love Songs (1990)
14. Careless Whisper – Make It Big (1984)
15. Kissing a Fool – Faith (1987)