David Bowie Dead from Cancer at age 69
Along with millions of other fans, I was shocked to learn of the death of David Bowie on January 10, 2016. It was just days after releasing his latest album Backstar.
I can’t say that I was a super fan, but as a teen of the 1980’s, I am familiar with many of his greatest hits.
David Bowie was a musician, actor, entertainer, fashion icon, husband, father, and philanthropist among many other things.
Invention, reinvention, and contradiction, filled his music career. He was a pioneer in 1970’s Glam Rock but experimented with various music styles including soul, funk, new wave, pop, electronic, and more throughout his career.
His style and fashion changed even more often than his music. His clothes and hairstyles ranged from the costumed persona of Ziggy Stardust to looks that rivaled a male model.
Illustrator Helen Green created this GIF that shows just some of the many looks he sported throughout his life.
You may not know that David Bowie was a family man. He married his wife, model Iman, in 1992. They were still married at the time of his death – almost 24 years later. They have a daughter born in 2000, and he has a son from his first marriage.
David Bowie’s influence on popular music is inescapable. Even 35 years after they were released, songs like Under Pressure influence new music lovers including my children.
Here is my personal list (in order) of the top 10 David Bowie Songs
My Top 10 David Bowie Songs
I hope you enjoy my favorite David Bowie songs. If you purchase through the links, I will receive a small commission.
1. Under Pressure (with Queen) – released in 1981 and later included in Queen Album “Hot Space”
2. Changes – “Honky Dory” (1971)
3. Space Oddity– Album “Space Oddity” (1969)
4. Fame– Album “Young Americans” (1975)
5. Let’s Dance – Album “Modern Love” (1983)
6. Young Americans – Album “Young Americans” (1975)
7. Modern Love – Album “Modern Love” (1983)
8. Dancing in the Streets (with Mick Jaggar) – released as Single in 1985
9. Golden Years – Album “Station to Station” (1976)
10. China Girl – Album “Modern Love” (1983)